- The Young Scientist Award by China Computer Federation in 2011
- The Talent Award by China Venture Investment Corporation Software Engineering in 2012
- Research on IPv6 Core Router helped win National Science and Technology Progress Award (second class) in 2005
- Professor and Ph.D. candidate supervisor at Department of Computer Science & Technology, Tsinghua University
- Part-time graduate student supervisor at School of Software and Microelectronics, Peking University
- Joint Ph.D. candidate supervisor at Shandong University
- Editorial member of Computer Applications and Software(in Chinese), China Science Paper(in Chinese) and Networking Science by Springer
- Guest editor of the Special Issue on Network Virtualization of IEEE Network
- Senior member of IEEE
- TPC member of IEEE GLOBECOM, IEEE ICCCN, IEEE ISCC, etc.
- Senior member of China Computer Federation and member of its Academic Work Committee, Internet Special Committee and Services Computing Special Committee
- Four Natural Science Foundation of China projects
- One National Science and Technology Major Project – New Generation Broadband Wireless Mobile Communication Network
- One major project of the national “863 Plan”
- Three CNGI projects by the State Development and Reform Commission
- Editor–in-chief of the textbook Advanced Computer Network—Architecture, Protocol Mechanism, Algorithm Design and Router Technology (Mechanical Industry Press, 1st edition in 2003, 2nd edition in 2009). This book won the Excellent Teaching Material Award of Tsinghua University (first-class) in 2008.
- The Teaching Achievement Award of Tsinghua University (first class) with other designers by the Multi-level Teaching Exploration of Computer Networks Course in 2008.
- The course – Advanced Computer Networks – instructed by Prof. Xu won the title of Excellent Graduate Course of Tsinghua University in 2010. Prof. Xu won the Excellent Teaching Award for Young Teachers of Tsinghua University in 2011.
Representative Publications (See here for a detailed list)